Thursday, March 17, 2011

Why Does He Have a White Sox Prospect Featured on For Card's Sake

First off, happy St. Patrick’s Day to any Irish bloggers out there. You can bet the local Irish pub was jammed with people. Very loud people.

Whenever I look through my old Bowman cards, I usually check the players I don’t know to make sure they are still relevant to the sport/hobby. It’s always fun to research and see what player to hold and what player to trade away. Sometimes you find a guy or two that isn’t out of the league and is still kicking it in the minors, or doing very well in the minors and has potential to be an everyday MLB player. This is one of those guys

Now, I’m almost positive everyone but Steve hasn’t heard of this guy, and that’s okay. It would be almost creepy if you did. Jose Martinez is a prospect in the White Sox organization with potential to be a great power hitter. However, injuries have slowed him down and he’s still working his way up the system; he hasn’t made it higher than low Single-A. But hey, he’s only 22.

You may ask why I even bothered buying this card, let alone banking on it to be valuable in the future. I don’t necessarily think Martinez is going to make it to the majors, and if he does, he’ll be a typical power hitter with very little talent in other aspects of the game. However, I already owned a regular Chrome and a refractor of this card, and when I saw the blue refractor pop up on the bay; I figured “what the hell” and went for it.

The card books for 50 bucks. Yes, that’s right, 50 bucks.

I won it for $1.06.

We need to change the book. (Oh yeah, and it’s not for trade yet Steve).

1 comment: