Wednesday, February 2, 2011

We're Off to See the Vintage at Emerald City

More often than not, people choose to spend their cash on prospects than vintage. This is, quite frankly, ridiculous. What if I told you that you could get an Al Kaline rookie graded a PSA 4 for less than a hobby box of 2010 Bowman Sterling? Don’t believe me? Check the links. It’s scary how people value getting the big 1/1 auto patch of the hottest rookie in baseball over Hall of Famers and the pastime’s greatest players. This is why I will always go for vintage over newer cards. They have more history, are usually better looking, and their value only goes up as time moves forward.

Now vintage isn’t exactly easy to require, well, vintage in decent condition that is. It’s scarce enough to find, but trying to find one with good centering and sharp corners is damn near impossible. Despite these limitations, which have driven me crazy (I’m so anal about card conditions), I still love vintage to death and hope to start collecting a set soon (more on that at a future date).

So, what was I getting at? Right, vintage. Getting vintage is awesome, but getting vintage in a trade is friggin’ awesomer. Larry from Emerald City Diamond Gems, the notorious Mariners blog, was looking for one lone card… a 2007 Fleer Travis Chick. Never heard of him? Me neither, but I had enough of his cards because I busted nearly four boxes of 2007 Fleer before my blogging days (perhaps not the best idea in the world). I sent him the Chick, a die-cut Chick, and some other Mariners in exchange for a couple of Yanks. Or so I thought.

When Larry’s package came in a flat rate box, I knew this would be an epic package. And sure enough, Larry supplied some sweet cards, including a ton of Yankees, A-Rods, and shiny inserts! But what really made this trade awesome was the vintage he threw in. Let’s take a look.


My favorite looking rookie cards (or rookie subsets, however you see it) are from vintage; the 1959 Topps Sporting News Rookie Stars and the 1960 Topps Sport Magazine Rookie Stars. I really enjoy the color on vintage, and these rookie cards are no exception.

But I have one complaint. Why is Deron Johnson here twice? The ’59 Sporting News is his official rookie card, so why is he featured in a rookie subset in ’60 Sport Magazine? Topps was screwing up even 50 years ago.

I’m really digging this… classic rookie card. You all know I’m a sucker for the multi-player rookie card, and this is as good as it gets. The two players didn’t really make an impact with the team, but Jake Gibbs made an impact in college football. He was an All-American quarterback at Ole Miss and in his senior year he led the team to an undefeated record. He was inducted in the College Football Hall of Fame in 1995.

A couple of horizontal rooks, including a very 80’s-looking Dave Rajsich.


Once again, a big thanks to Larry for the awesome trade, and I definitely owe him. For Card’s Sake, over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment