Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Epic Repack Box Break: Painted Sets Edition

With Allen & Ginter’s much-anticipated 2011 release and Gypsy Queen’s enormous popularity, we still see an obsession with painted sets in the hobby.  Me personally, I can take them or leave them.  Some sets over the past few years have really wowed me (Goodwin Champions, Heritage) and have left a sour taste in my mouth (National Chicle, Ginter).  Due to their big success, painted sets are going to be a mainstay in the hobby for a very long time, and that may cause some overpopulation issues.  I mean, there are already a ton of sets to choose from, imagine if Topps and Upper Deck release painted set after painted set (yes UD can do this) then it could grow old.  Who knows, we’ll see, but I can tell you 2011 Goodwin Champions is awful compared to 2009’s offering.

Thankfully, most bloggers collect one of two of these types of painted sets, and so when packs of Goudey and Heritage end up in my repack box… well it just serves as great trade bait.  Let’s continue on with part two of this exciting segment.


2009 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions
#59: Evan Longoria
2009 Goodwin Champions is one of my favorite sets from the past five years.  Stunning card design, beautiful on-card autos, and the artwork is phenomenal.  And the funny thing is… I’ve never purchased a box.  They have been out of my price range, but maybe if I’m smart enough to save up some money I can go and purchase a box or two.

Goodwin Champions Mini #223: Freddy Sanvhez (EXT)
Card #211-#231 are all extended minis, meaning these cards were only made minis.  A nice little concept I suppose, but I could see where that would be irritating for a player collector.


2008 Upper Deck Goudey
#93: Jered Weaver
Weaver will be starting for the American League tonight in the 2011 MLB All-Star game, a well-deserved honor.  He finishes the first half with an 11-4 record, 120 strikeouts, and a league-leading 1.86 ERA.  Yes, that’s correct, a 1.86 ERA.


2009 Upper Deck Goudey
#210: Ryne Sandberg (SP)
While I’m not a big fan of the Goudey set, I do like these Sport Royalty cards.  Very clean and very nice looking for such a simple design.  While this is a great card, it is up for trade for a Yankee from the same subset.


2008 Topps Heritage
#368: Prince Fielder
Another case of “I love the set, but can’t afford it”.  ‘08 and ‘07’s offering of Heritage is definitely some of the best work Topps has done with the line, in my opinion, and I was absolutely thrilled that there was a pack of this in the repack box.  The Baseball Thrills subset look very pleasant as well.

Dick Perez HDP7: Mickey Mantle
Yes, I know the Mick has been beaten to death and I know the topic of the Mick being beaten to death has been beaten to death as well, but I just want to say this is a very nice card.  Not to mention, it’s not a subset based entirely around the Mick.  Now how about that?


All the cards scanned (excluding the Sandberg, which will be hard to move) are staying with me.  Here are the following cards I pulled that are available:

2010 Allen and Ginter
#75, #140, #209, #232
This Day in History TDH59: Hunter Pence
World’s Biggest Mini WB18: Eastern lowland gorilla

2009 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions
#139, #153

2009 Upper Deck Goudey
#73, #80, #173, #179
Mini Blue Back #199: Lastings Milledge


2008 Upper Deck Goudey
#12, #41, #64, #142, #145, #171

2008 UD Masterpieces
#13, #31, #45, #77

2008 Topps Heritage
#24, #133, #160, #174, #248


The last and final chapter of this epic repack box break will feature something collector’s love and loathe at the same time… Upper Deck products from 2008 and 2009!

No comments:

Post a Comment